To help bolster existing efforts and spur new research ideas, the U of M Obesity Prevention Center maintains a lending library of research equipment, software, and protocols. This cost and time-saving resource is available to support obesity prevention research being conducted by faculty and students at the University of Minnesota.
The current inventory of equipment includes:
- Nutrition Data System for Research (NDS-R) dietary analysis program (16 copies)
- Dell Laptops (13 each)
- Actigraph Activity Monitors (106 each Model GT1M, 51 each Model GT3X, and 57 each Model GT3X-Plus)
- Tanita Body Composition Analyzers (3 each Model TBF-300A)
- Tanita Digital Scales (3 each Model BWB-800)
- PEA POD Infant Body Composition Assessment System
- Portable Stadiometers (5 each)
- Research Grade Skinfold Calipers (8 each)
- Sphygmomanometer (3 manual and 1 automated)
- Polar Heart Rate Monitors (2 each)
- Portable precision electronic food scale (OHAUS SP601 Scout Pro)
- Nasco food models and other food amount estimation aids
- Omron Blood Pressure Monitor (1 each)
The equipment is available at no cost on a first come, first serve basis. Staffing costs are the investigator’s responsibility.
Researchers are required to reserve the equipment in advance. Student use is allowed if a faculty advisor agrees to take responsibility for the terms of the equipment loan agreement.
To reserve equipment, contact the U of M OPC at 612-626-8570 or email@example.com.
Sample Measurement Protocols
The following are a variety of sample measurement protocols for use with U of M OPC research equipment, including weight, anthropometry, blood pressure, accelerometery, and 24-hour dietary recalls.
- Physical Measures Protocol
- Accelerometry Protocol GT1M
- Accelerometry Protocol GT3X & GT3X+
- Accelerometer Log
- Sample Diet Recall Procedures
The OPC may be able to provide training on measurement protocols and quality control protocols, depending on the specific request.
For more information, contact the U of M OPC at 612-626-8570 or firstname.lastname@example.org.